Adding submenus to the Games menu

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 23:24:07 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 05:28 -0800, Christopher Stone wrote:
> The last bug I submitted to Ray Strode took an *extremely* long time
> to get a very simple bug fixed, I eventually had to call upon some
> higher ups at RedHat in order for him to actually apply a patch and
> fix the bug.  He would not even so much as even reply to the bug
> report after months of replys and CCs from other people.
>
> I have dealt with two other RedHat maintainers who also take the same
> lackadaisical attitude towards bug fixing.  I'm not really sure what
> the RedHat engineers actually do over there...but that is for another
> discussion I guess...

I would bet that they're running around like chickens with FC6 just out
the door and all the bugfixes on packages that would have a higher
priority than games. If the kernel is broken, that would certainly come
first. Missing config.h is an example of something higher up to resolve,
for backwards compatibility. I doubt they're being discourteous, with
all hell breaking out around them, I would guess they figure you'll
understand where they are presently at. But, months?? That's pretty
crucial. A quickie email to you would have been better to explain just
what was going on... and, respectful.

When I worked there in 2000, we had to have stuff out the door and
resolved within a week, as our target goal in the Tech Support
Department. While things might not actually gotten totally resolved in a
week, there were plenty emails to explain just where the problem was in
the resolution path for RedHat issues. If it was deemed a third party
issue, then that would have been conveyed in an email explaining that.

We weren't 'maintainers'... just a layer of communication between those
with the problems and those able to do something about the problem. That
was mostly during Bob Youngs days when Mathew was just coming on-board.
He's a great guy, but his job is to watch the bottom-line so that
everyone there gets paychecks that won't bounce. I wouldn't have that
job for all the tea in China.
Ric