[Fwd: Re: Fedora, trademarks, etc.]

Jon Ciesla limb at jcomserv.net
Wed Aug 8 16:04:54 UTC 2007

Just got this from an Armagetron dev.  I'll check out the forum.  Tom,
would you be able to contribute a short post on the trademark issues to
the forum?

Subject: Re: Fedora, trademarks, etc.
From:    "Fred" <guru3 at users.sourceforge.net>
Date:    Wed, August 8, 2007 11:16 am
To:      "Jon Ciesla" <limb at jcomserv.net>
Cc:      zman at users.sourceforge.net

Hello Jon. I've talked with other members of the project, and no one is
especially opposed to a rebranded version of Armagetron Advanced appearing
in Fedora. However, some people have expressed interest in exactly what
part of the name has trademark issue. (After all that could affect us one
day.)

As for a new name, to be honest, no one was especially thrilled with the
name "WeasleCycles", because that sort of gives you an image of there at
least being some weasles somewhere, possibly on bicycles. Which if as a
patch to AA was something you had the manpower to do, wouldn't be too bad.

That aside, the name ideas we've had have all be trying to hold onto some
part of our original name. "Cycletron" after an early particle
accelerator. "Armacycles" or "Cycles Armageddon" are some other ideas
we've had.

Most of our project communication occurs on our forums, and I've started a
thread (http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=17869) there about
other names. Feel free to participate there, and also if you decide to
rebrand and anything comes up, post away. A post or two on what's been
done to create the package wouldn't go astray either, as no one's done an
RPM in ages.

Fred

--
novus ordo absurdum