Second Life client source released GPL!

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Mon Jan 8 22:19:30 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 20:39 +0300, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> 2007/1/8, Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com>:
> > Way sooner than I ever imagined, the Second Life client has been
> > released under GPLv2 license. Though it has the usual "still needs some
> > proprietary third party libs" strings attached. Namely fmod.
>
> AFAIK it's the only closed-source lib there. But I've seen mentions
> about CDDL-licensed matherial (FC-folks afraid of that license). Bad
> news that there isn't a PowerPC-variant of that blob.

Okay, turns out you can build without fmod, you just don't get sound. SL
also makes extensive use of JPEG2000 for texture compression, using a
proprietary lib. It can be built against OpenJPEG, but supposedly its
performance is rather bad.

So, we should be able to get SL into Fedora, though it will be rather
suboptimal until fmod is replaced with, say, OpenAL, and OpenJPEG gets
optimized.

Still working on getting it to build.