Armagetron: clarification

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Sat Jul 14 13:22:34 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-14 at 09:51 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Jon Ciesla wrote:
> > I know Armagetron is on the will not package list, and I know it's due to
> > trademark issues.  Is there more to that that just the name?  If not, then
> > either we need to package it or drop/modify kdegames, as it has ktron,
> > which, AFAICT, meets the same standard.
> >

> Indeed it does, I think the name for that should be changed or it should be
> dropped.
>
> > If this has been discussed previously and I missed it, I apologize, but
> > I'm just curious as to what the litmus test is.
> >

> It hasn't been discussed before, I've added Spot to the CC as he usually makes
> the decisions surrounding legal stuff. Tom, my assessment of the situation is
> that ktron indeed is a problem too.
>
> While at the subject, I think that renaming Armagetron and removing any
> references to Tron from the docs / text printed in the game, should make
> Armagetron acceptabl, do you agree? And is anyone willing todo this?

Yes. This is the conclusion that Red Hat came to several years ago as
well.

As long as it isn't using the exact same graphics and sounds, and
doesn't use the trademark (or any derivation of the trademark), it's
fine.

Ktron and Armagetron need to be renamed. Klightcars, for example. I have
no suggestion for Armagetron.

~spot