Notes on games spin

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri Sep 21 08:24:49 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>>> I think this would way too annoying. I just want to provide a gentle
>>> nag. Not to frustrate users every time they try to launch 3D games
>>> which I suspect will happen if we modify all the related menu entries
>>> to launch a dialog box.
>>>

>> Note that the dialog will _only_ be shown when dri (direct rendering)
>> is not available, so if we wouldn't show the dialog (and not start the
>> game) the user would get a slide show (software rendering) and
>> navigating a menu with the mouse when you get 3 frames per second can
>> be quite annoying.
>
> Here is a alternative solution:
>
> Login time, check whether DRI is enabled and popup a message "Your
> system does not have open accelerated 3D drivers available or installed
> on your system. This means that you will not able to play 3D games
> efficiently. Click here for more information" and point them to a wiki
> link in Fedora with more information.
>
> Have a check box below saying "Don't remind me, next time" or just bring
> this dialog box up only on first login for a new user.

The user then still won't know which games use opengl and which games he/she
thus shouldn't try to start. Starting one of them will result in a slide show
with very poor response to mouse keyboard events making it hard to quit the
game again. This is IMHO not user friendly, so I believe its better to check
for dri when a game is launched and refuse to launch, with a message dialog
explaining why.

Regards,

Hans