Is vegastrike working for anyone in F15 or rawhide?

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Mon Jul 11 19:58:26 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 07/11/2011 08:31 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 20:13:52 +0200,
>    Hans de Goede<hdegoede at redhat.com>  wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I've been thinking about trying to revive the games SIG, try to
>> build a group of interested people and do monthly irc meetings or
>> something like that. It seems that many of the people who used to
>> be involved in the games SIG have moved over to other roles within
>> Fedora, so I think we need to attract some new contributors for
>> the Games SIG. I think games are a good place to start for new packagers,
>> and people tend to like games, so it should be possible
>> to attract some fresh blood I hope.
>
> I agree we need more help. And there is plenty of work suitiable for
> new packagers to help out. I'd like to see the most experienced packagers
> get their time freed up to work on tasks that need their skill.
>
> I'd also like to see more enthusiasm on this list. It seems in the past
> there were more discussions than there have been recently.

Agreed, although I think we mainly need more people on this list, then
the enthusiasm will come by itself.

>> The first thing to do would be to write some sort of the Games SIG
>> is "hiring" email to fedora-devel. Does this sound like a good idea?
>
> I think we'd want to reach out farther the devel, but that seems like a good
> place to get a core group to get things going.

Agreed, I think sending such a mail to both the users and devel lists
would be better. Do you feel up to drafting such a mail?

>> I would be willing to help new contributors with interest in the Games
>> SIG with the first few reviews and by sponsoring them.
>
> That would be good. My sponsor may also help as in the past they have seemed
> to be very good about sponsoring new people packaging games.
>
> I am pretty sure comps could use some work as well. A couple of weeks ago
> I was looking at things that appeared to be games (based on desktop files
> and the group in the spec file) and some weren't listed in the games
> group in comps. There were some fuzzy issues that ended up requiring more
> time to finish this off than I had, so I didn't get all of the way to filing
> bug reports. But that is a task that someone could do without becoming
> a packager. Though for some of the borderline cases (game servers, language
> packs, etc.) it would help if the SIG provided guidance.

I have this dirty script, which checks all packages with a rpm group of
Amusement/Games and sees if they are in comps. I've not used it for a while,
so it may be broken. Also it has paths hardcoded to my system. Still I've attached
it in case it is useful. In the past I used this to make sure all
packages with a rpm group of Amusement/Games were either in comps, or on
the blacklist inside the script.

> I think the web pages for the sig which list games to use some tweaking
> as well. The lists aren't complete and are probably dated. Being able to
> generate the list of included games based on repo data might make more sense
> than a manually maintained one.

You mean:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Games

I never did much work on that, I think the idea was to have a best of
list for each category. But indeed it needs some updating / loving, or
we could consider abandoning it.

> The wish list could use some goign over as
> well. Some games on that list seemed to have stalled and may not be worth
> the effort to package and there are new games that should probably get added.

Ack.

> Graphics driver support is also an issue that affects games. While the low
> level stuff probably isn't appropriate for the Games SIG, if there are ways
> we can help out the graphics driver guys, it would be good for us to do so.

This is a tricky one. I've done quite a bit of testing and even bisecting
of regressions on my r3xx card, as time allows. ATM I've a sandybridge
core i3 with integrated graphics and I'm reporting bugs where I can, but
indeed the gfx driver situation can be a problem from time to time. I think
that the most important thing we can do is testing + filing detailed
bug reports. And if it is a regression you can try to bisect it.

Regards,

Hans