[Fedora-haskell-list] What provides the Maybe module?

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Fri Jan 28 14:23:09 UTC 2011

Hi Bruno,

Sorry for the late reply.

----- Original Message -----
> I noticed that the hedgewars server subpackage is no longer building.
> When being linked it can't find the Maybe module. I haven't changed
> anything with hedgewars that would cause this. I suspect that whatever
> was providing this module was getting pulled in as a dependency in the
> past and now it isn't and I need to add a new build requires, but
> perhaps something else was going on.

That is my fault for subpackaging the ghc libraries in rawhide
and not even posting a heads-up here... my apologies for taking
your time on this: I should have rebuilt or at least updated hedgewar.git
so that it would still build...

Binary packages in rawhide can now use "BR: ghc-devel"
to get the same environment as before the subpackaging,
or better you can list all the exact build deps explicitly as you did.
(For .cabal packages this is a bit harder since they would
also need to BR ghc-Cabal-devel.)

I will probably do a ghc update soon for F14 to
also provide ghc-devel for compatibility - might not
be worth it for f13, I feel.  In the longer term
I would like to list ghc's libraries also as explicit
ghc_pkg_deps in all our packages, but that will probably
have to wait until after F13 goes EOL (and of course
a backport of the ghc subpackaging to F14).

> I am hoping someone here just knows the answer, and can tell me rather
> than
> trying to add ghc-*-devel packages one at a time to find it. (I did a
> bit
> of google searching, but didn't find anything that pointed to a Fedora
> package.)

Next time you could try to use hoogle or yahoo to locate a missing module:
perhaps you wanted haskell98?

Hope the explanation helps a little even if it comes in too late.

Thanks, Jens