ghc-7.4.2 and other updates/news

dag.odenhall at gmail.com dag.odenhall at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 10:49:50 UTC 2012

I personally think Platform is a bit incompatible with the Fedora
philosophy of "features" and "first". I don't think we need to be the
*bleeding* edge, but at least the *cutting* edge? I think people who
install and use [the latest] Fedora have already made a decision that they
want to experiment with the latest in software development, and usually
have the skill to do so. Those who just want something that works with
minimum fuzz and aren't too interested in trying out the latest GHC
features are likely to be running something other than Fedora, I suspect.

It seems Fedora releases are usually around two or three months behind GHC
releases, which is also about the time it takes for Hackage to stabilize to
a new GHC release. That's what I mean about cutting vs. bleeding edge.

Who wants to be stuck with GHC 7.4 for at least the next seven or eight
months? Who wants to have GHC 7.6 within the next month or two, at the cost
of not having the precise versions of packages specified in the latest
Platform?

I know my post on how to get GHC 7.4 in F17 has been very popular, and I'm
hoping we can avoid repeating this situation for GHC 7.6 and F18.

Just my two cents.

-- donri