ghc-7.4.2 and other updates/news

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Tue Oct 30 09:31:23 UTC 2012

> > Who wants to be stuck with GHC 7.4 for at least the next seven or
> > eight months? Who wants to have GHC 7.6 within the next month or two, at
> > the cost of not having the precise versions of packages specified in the
> > latest Platform?

> I must admit, I would prefer to have GHC 7.6 sooner rather than later.

Ok.  As a step towards this goal I think backporting
offers quite a big improvement in this area and will free us
largely from the current Haskell Platform schedule skew at least,
since we can update to newest HP as soon as it is available.
But like for Windows and Mac users it will be another 6+ months
before we see ghc-7.6+ in Fedora (ie HP 2013.2).

Has anyone tried to rebuild all of our packages with 7.6.1 yet?
I just finished testing 7.4.2 as I mentioned.  I could imagine
there will still be quite a few more problems with 7.6 remaining.
It is not without reason that HP decided to stick with 7.4.2
at this time for the coming 2012.4 release.

Anyway help and input is certainly appreciated and welcome.
If I was working full-time on Fedora Haskell I could really do a lot more...

Thanks,
Jens