[Fedora-i18n-list] keyboard difficulties

John Francis Lee jfmxl at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 06:57:56 UTC 2005

Hello,

I am following along with the FAQ :

  Q: Can I manually enable IIIMF for other locales or all locales so
that I can use [insert your favorite language engine name]?

 $ mkdir ~/.xinput.d
 $ ln -s /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/iiimf ~/.xinput.d/default
 $ mkdir ~/.xinput.d
 $ ln -s /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/iiimf ~/.xinput.d/en_US

 Then restart X.
I did that

 Q: I do not have GIMLET (gnome-im-switcher) enabled on my desktop.
What should I do?

    * Right click on your panel
    * Press "add to panel"
    * Select "InputMethod Switcher"
    * Press "Add"
I did that
Q: OK! It is still not working in GNOME. What can I check?

    * Check if you have installed iiimf-server, iiimf-x, iiimf-libs,
iiimf-gtk, iiimf-gnome-im-switcher, and one of the language engine
above
    * Check if you have started IIIM service: i.e. service iiim status.
If not please start the service in root: service iiim start
    * Check manually if the server is working by running
LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 GTK_IM_MODULE=iiim gedit (if you have installed
iiimf-le-canna. Please check the previous question for locale reference
to language engine)

I did that... japanese input works!

    * If it is working, that's mean you do not have the environment
variable or correct locale. Please check what locale are you in by
running locale in command line, or check if you have ~/.xinput.d setup
correctly.

I am confused... I chose Japanes when I logged into to gnome, yet
[ws4 at ws4 ~]$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

And do I have to change my locale just to enter Japanese?

When I use the default hotkey <ctrl-space> nothing is entered when I
use the keyboard. As well I now have a keyboard selector which
alternates between <USA, Tha> and the gimlet app which alternates
between <en,jp> on my icon line. Thai and English still seem to work
ok. And Japanese does when I include the locale on the gedit command
line (at least I think it does, the romanji box appears. I don't know
Japanese).

Thanks for any help you might give me.

--
John Francis Lee