Define an other fallback language than English

Nils-Christoph Fiedler ncfiedler at fedoraproject.org
Thu Aug 12 12:56:53 UTC 2010

Hej folks,

I am trying to set up an other language than English for fallback for
the case, that not all strings are translated in my first language.

Concretely, I tried to have Low German (nds) as my first language and
German (de) as the fallback language. (Because English does not make any
sense here. - German and Low German do not differ in monetary by the
way)

So I changed the value of the LANG variable in /etc/sysconfig/i18n to
sth. like this:

LANG=”nds_DE:nds:de_DE:de”
LANGUAGE=”nds_DE:nds:de_DE:de”
LC_CTYPE=”de_DE:de”
LC_NUMERIC=”de_DE:de”
LC_TIME=”de_DE:de”
LC_COLLATE=”de_DE:de”
LC_MONETARY=”de_DE:de”
LC_MESSAGES=”nds_DE:nds:de_DE:de:en_GB:en”
LC_PAPER=”de_DE:de”
LC_NAME=”de_DE:de”
LC_ADDRESS=”de_DE:de”
LC_TELEPHONE=”de_DE:de”
LC_MEASUREMENT=”de_DE:de”
LC_IDENTIFICATION=”de_DE:de”
SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"

But this does not set a priority for German (de) as the fallback, but
just shows English fallback strings.

So, is there any other way to do that, than described above? Did I make
a mistake?

Regards,
Nils