[fedora-india] need help regarding getting a laptop

Ritesh Sinha sinha.k.ritesh at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 05:33:45 UTC 2009

Have you considered a Lenovo ThinkPad (the T or R series) ? In my experience
pretty much all hardware (including the fingerprint reader) work well.

It may be slightly expensive, but my T40 has served me well for a long time
now.

Regards,

Ritesh

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org
> wrote:

> magesh wrote:
> > hi ppl,
> >
> >     This is magesh, from chennai
> > i have planned to buy a laptop... i opt for hp or compaq
> > but now iam little confused on which system would be linux favourable
> >
> > because many of friends were disappointing, of the non-availability of
> > the drivers and many other problems as far as the laptops are concerned
> >
> > so i need feedbacks from people who use hp or compaq notebooks
> > and iam also confused on which one to go for either hp or compaq...
> > help me with this friends
>
> Use the Fedora live cd and boot once and check if everything works
> before buying the laptop.  Generally speaking, Broadcom wireless (which
> is rebranded as Dell wireless on Dell systems and requires proprietary
> non redistributable firmware) and Nvidia (which requires proprietary
> drivers for 3D acceleration still) are problematic.
>
> Atheros or Intel wireless and Intel display would work out of the box.
> Almost all webcams are supported. Stay away from Creative for sound and
> you should do ok.
>
> Rahul

Blessed are the forgetful: for they get the better even of their blunders.
-- Friedrich Nietzsche