[fedora-india] Media production -> Meet next saturday?

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 14:05:54 UTC 2010

hey,

On Sat, 2010-04-03 at 18:43 +0530, sankarshan wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Hiemanshu Sharma
> <hiemanshu at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > http://www.zyxware.com/requestcd/%252Fresults/field_distribution_name%3A%22Fedora%20%22 has
> > fedora DVD for Rs. 30 and CD for Rs. 20 + Shipping. If we can get a nice
> > budget we can workout a price with them for a lot of CDs.
>
> For any given release we have noticed that LFY carries the DVD media.
> Past performance is never an indication of future results but
> irrespective of whether LFY or, the other technical magazine carry
> media or not, it would be good to have a system where local UGs,
> vendors/distributors are encouraged to retail the media and, make a
> decent/reasonable profit by the way.

If it would be good to have, I suggest we initiate something to bring it
about.

> It would be a good idea to look for easier ways to incubate more such
> retailers and, for starters asking folks like zyxware as to whether
> they are in a position to offer stalls at events and sell their media.
> For colleges and other institutions it makes more sense to seize the
> opportunity to get tree(s) refreshed or, synchronized so that they can
> have install-fests or, a machine capable of doing LiveUSB production.

Again, if it "would be a good idea", I suggest getting down to working
out how we can bring this about.

> Offering the media for "free" (as in gratis) doesn't seem to get us
> very far. The demand is significantly high (cf. the Freemedia
> requests) and, no budget would be "nice" enough.

How much is the budget really for free media requests?

> <http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/info> is a model that we could use
> should we choose to.
>
> --
> sankarshan mukhopadhyay
> <http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog>

Like I've already said above, we know what to bring about but haven't
started anything to achieve it yet. Can we please have an irc meeting
dedicated to this?

If we can get vendors to provide media at cheap prices, I'm sure the
demand for free media would go down to a certain extent. I've come
across vendors pricing media at rs 200, rs 170, which is pretty
expensive.

Time -> April 10, 1930IST?
Agenda:

* read the above email, think of how to get the ideas actually working.
* <add more here?>

As always, I request as many people as possible to attend the meet.
Ambassadors are imperative here since we need as much feedback and as
many ideas as possible.

--
regards,
Ankur