[fedora-india] Media production -> Meet next saturday?

Ashwin ashwin.lists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 17:32:18 UTC 2010

On 04-Apr-10 10:51 AM, sankarshan wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 7:35 PM, Ankur Sinha<sanjay.ankur at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> How much is the budget really for free media requests?
>
> I don't recall ever seeing a budget per se for Freemedia given that it
> is a volunteer driven activity.
>
> There are two points upon which I'd like to dwell. One, the problem
> cannot be solved by throwing "money into the game"

I agree. No money, no game. And we should not be playing games here.

> Which is why it might turn out to be a good idea to close down
> Freemedia for a while and, point all requests to paid media channels.

Great, incentive to setup online DVD/CD store. But these also need a
mint copy, I hope those will still be available ? Or one has to download
and sell ?

> Creating the stickers for the DVDs (to make it look 'professional')
> isn't too costly and, that can probably be arranged.

This is a trivial issue.

> trail of accountability and, more importantly, feedback between the
> request and, the fulfilling of it would be more important.

What for ? The paid service will exist on perform or perish basis.

> Currently, mirrors are a major pain point. We don't have enough of
> them. And, yet, we have a growing set of people from institutions who
> are contributing to and participating in The Fedora Project. Why are
> they unable to convince their college authorities to set up mirrors ?

Bandwidth is still an item of luxury in this country. A more pragmatic
approach with the help of Redhat can be setting up mirrors with ISPs
like Reliance, TATA, Bharti, BSNL and others and not to forget NIXIs.

I am willing to engage with the respective guys in the eastern region
with a proper mandate from Redhat, as these entities need legal
agreements with those entities whose existence is well defined under
laws of the land. Most of the LUGs and groups like these may not / do
not fit the bill.

> When we are discussing the issue of media (Freemedia ?), let's think
> over all the above bits as well.

The problem as I see, is not with the existing mirrors and their current
state, which can change from good to bad and reverse from time to time.
The problem is to have many more mirrors, and how to achieve that ?

with Regards,
ASHWIN