[fedora-india] Hi, trouble in fedora media program

Ashwin ashwin.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 18:52:32 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 28 July 2010 02:24 PM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 08:13 +0530, Ashwin wrote:
>> Please take note of Madan's request.
>>
>> Madan was provided a media by a member on the list (great job Ankur)
>> no
>> issues with me, as long as the request was serviced.
>>
>> Madan was NOT directed to freemedia program.  Was he ?
>>
>> Is there any regional or any other kind of bias here ?
>>
>> with Regards,
>> ASHWIN
>
> hi,
>
> Madan was not directed, because the email sounded urgent (I did not
> grill him to see if it really was urgent or not), and the free media
> program would need him to retry next month.

Very good. What you did was right. Carry on the good work in future too.

> hmmm... I don't intend to sound rude here but, *Why is "bias" even
> coming up here?* How is this constructive? Does it really matter?

Because there was a bias in the replies sent to Arshad. Which is not
your fault at all and you need not feel guilty. It matters when we are
irritated and send out replies (biased) which has the potential to turn
probable users away from Fedora / FOSS / Linux.

> Look, there are only some of us servicing media. If one's not, I
> strongly feel that he/she really shouldn't be questioning us on what
> criteria we use.

You (and others) have chosen not to service a specific request *no issues*.

But why should the person asking for help be rebuked in the first place
? Or are you saying just because a set of guys who are dishing out free
media have the right to rebuke people (whether a free media is sent to
the person or not) and such high handedness should not be questioned ?
Think again. You are wrong here.

> If it matters, I'm biased towards :
>
> - folks in and around Karnataka (when I'm in Manipal),

Very natural. It nice of you to announce it openly.

> - folks who mail me personally (I do not direct these to the free media
> program if I can handle the request), it gives me a chance to personally
> get in touch with people (I'm also an Ambassador)

A perfect approach.

> - folks who respond to my further queries (thus showing that they really
> are interested)

Prevents wastage, very prudent.

Please note, your activity with respect to Madan is not the point, it is
very much appreciated.

The point being highlighted is lack of sensitivity towards Arshad (a
similar request like that of Madan), which is not your doing, so please
do not get worked up.

with Regards,
ASHWIN