[fedora-india] [Event Report] GNU Make: FISAT, Angamaly, Kerala

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 04:57:31 UTC 2011

Hi,

I had presented an introduction to GNU Make, "Dum Ka Biryani, Make for
each other" [1] at "ICE-FOSS 2011" [2], August 26-27, 2011 at Federal
Institute of Science and Technology [3], Angamaly, Kerala.

The conference had talks, hands-on workshops, and project demos. There
were interesting projects displayed at the stalls by the students
varying from Arduino-based hardware projects, to Python mobile
application development to games, and applications developed using
opencv. Pamphlets were made for each project, and given to the
visitors at the stall. I reviewed the projects that were demoed and
gave them feedback. The Institute is in the process of migrating their
servers, so we should (hopefully) see the sources made available
online.

I also had a chance to meet Anvar K Sadath, Executive Director at the
IT at School [4] project. They have trained nearly 2 lakh teachers on
F/OSS over the years. Their new initiative is animation training [5]
using free/open source software.

The Institute does have a cluster setup called "Dakshina" [6] which is
used by students, and the faculty. They also do allow other nearby
colleges to use the facility on request.

I would like to thank the Management of FISAT, for sponsoring my
travel and for the wonderful hospitality. Photos taken during the trip
are available at my /gallery [7].

SK

[1] Dum Ka Biryani, Make for each other.
http://shakthimaan.com/downloads.html#dum-ka-biryani-make-for-each-other

[2] ICE-FOSS, 2011. http://icefoss.fisat.ac.in/

[3] Federal Institute of Science and Technology. http://www.fisat.ac.in/

[4] IT at School. https://www.itschool.gov.in/index.php