[fedora-india] Does fedora 15 supports latest hardware ?

sgireeshmail at gmail.com sgireeshmail at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 10:03:25 UTC 2011

Hopefully, you should receive lot more productive answers from users-list.
However, here let me just offer a few suggestions.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Navdeep Singh Sidhu <
navdeepsingh.sidhu95 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Fedora 15 doesn't works on my Laptop. So i have a question, Does it
> supports latest Hardware?

Fedora often contains the latest versions of kernel/drivers. It should work
on most latest hardware.

> Like
> 2nd Generation i7 Quad core 2720QM 2.20GHz Boost upto 3.30 GHz

if I am not wrong, all Intel processors are backward compatible with i686
architecture. You may lose support for some advanced features, but it should
work. Atleast with Intel, they work with the Linux kernel team in advance
and the kernel drivers are already in place before the CPU is officially
launched into the market.

> Dual Graphics Card- Intel HD graphics 3000 & 2 GB nVIDIA Geforce GT 540m
> Graphics card

The Intel HD graphics (2000/3000) works for sure. I have Intel HD2000 and
Fedora worked with it. But if your laptop supports display adapter
switching, it is unlikely Fedora or any other Linux distro would play well
with it.

Try to pick any one of the two display adapters in the BIOS/EFI. First
preference would be the Intel adapter I suppose. You can switch to nvidia
and install rpmfusion drivers after the install.

> 8GB RAM Dual Channel 1333 MHz DDR3

Use a 64bit version of Fedora. 32bit version will not allow you to use the
entire memory.

> Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 with Bluetooth v3.0+HS wireless card

You can fix this after the install unless you are installing over network
and don't have a wired ethernet connection.

Most of the above suggestions are based on my experience with a *desktop*
using i5-2400, Intel HD2000/Nvidia GT430, 4GB DDR3 RAM and an MSI H67
motherboard. Your mileage may vary.

--
Gireesh