[fedora-india] [Fwd: Re: [Fedora Freemedia] #6429: Krishna Moorthy A from INDIA wants a i386 DVD.]

Tue Mar 8 07:04:22 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've asked him to outline what he felt was easier in Ubuntu, so we could
> see what Fedora is doing. I've forwarded the mail because it's a
> consequence of us not being able to make Fedora available to people on
> time. Had I managed to accept the ticket last month, we'd probably have
> one more Fedora user.

I wouldn't necessarily look at the situation in this particular way.
It appears that the end user wrote in to both projects and expected a
media free of charge. The slice of conclusion that can be drawn is
that (s)he desired to have a Linux desktop. That's an upside.

Given the scale of demand on the Freemedia project I had earlier
tentatively proposed an idea about accepting a pledge of contribution
from someone and the Freemedia volunteer meeting that pledge (for
example, I pledge ~2000 INR for a period to a specific volunteer and
(s)he commits to using the money for sending out media). That didn't
go far but I think that's probably one way the demand can be met.

Having said that, I still feel that relying solely on Freemedia as a
means to provide Fedora media to potential participants is asking too
much of what is essentially a labor of love.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog>