[fedora-india] Local Dictionary Server

Sawrub luckysharma11 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 19:22:40 UTC 2011

On 03/26/2011 09:47 PM, Sawrub wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I just came across a blog [1] that mentioned about the off-line
> dictionary setup in Ubuntu. I tried doing similar in Fedora but
> failed. So the point for which I'm here looking for help is that
> though I've been able to 'yum install wordnet dictd', and I'm able to
> query wordnet [2] in its graphical window using
> #wnb
> but when i'm trying to start my local dict daemon so as to map wordnet
> under gnome-dictionary its fails simply saying that 'no dictionaries
> installed'.
> $ sudo service dictd restart
> Shutting down dictd:                                       [FAILED]
> Starting dictd: no dictionaries installed                  [FAILED]
> $
>
> I have googled a bit but have not been able to find a solution. Also
> came across [3] but that to didn't helped as the server is not coming
> up. Though the client side of dict is working for me [4].
> Any help that makes this work would be great.
>
> [1]
> http://digitizor.com/2010/02/03/how-to-install-an-offline-dictionary-in-ubuntu-2/
> [2] http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
> [3] http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=216463
> [4] http://fpaste.org/DPC7/

 From Susmit [from archive]

> >/  [3]http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=216463
> /
> This link works fine for me.
> Have you installed the dictionaries?
>
> # rpm -ivhftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-tcousin/suse82/noarch/RPMS.Thibaut/dictd-dictionaries-1.0-2.noarch.rpm
> --noscripts
>
> # service dictd start
> Starting dictd:                                            [  OK  ]
>
> --
> Regards,
> Susmit.

first of all , thanks for the response. I did tried searching for
available dictionaries using

$ sudo yum search dictionaries

and it did listed a good count of them. The question still remains that
why is 'wordnet' not considered, when 'dict' client does lists it in
results why is the daemon failing to load/consider it.

--
Saurabh Sharma
Linux user number: 490644