[fedora-india] [Event Report] Fedora Activity Day II, COEP, Pune, India October 8, 2011

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 04:55:04 UTC 2011

Hi,

In preparation to FUDCon, Pune 2011 [1], we had organized our second
Fedora Activity Day (FAD) [2] at the FOSS Lab, College of Engineering,
Pune, India [3] on Saturday, October 8, 2011. Thanks to COEP for
hosting the FAD, and to Prof. Abhijit [4] for working with us in
organizing the same.

Saleem Ansari [5] had setup http://fudcon.in using Conference
Organization Distribution [6], which we used it for registration at
the venue.

Prasad Pandit [7] started the day's proceedings with an introduction
to Python [8]. Basic syntax, semantics of Python were covered, and we
helped the participants in getting started in writing simple scripts.
I then presented an overview of contributing to Fedora using the
"i-want-2-do-project. tell-me-wat-2-do-fedora" [9] presentation, and
the various communication channels that they need to be familiar with
to work with the larger Fedora community.

We had lunch at the COEP Boat Club [10] canteen. After lunch, Kashyap
Chamarthy [11] presented KVM virtualization [12] in Fedora
illustrating examples using libvirt and virt tools. Amit Shah [13] and
Kashyap answered queries regarding virtualization. Saleem Ansari then
presented an introduction to web development and Django [14],
illustrating the use of model, view and template design. I concluded
the day's sessions with an introduction to git using the "di-git-ally
managing love letters" presentation [15].

Few photos taken at the event are available in my /gallery [16].

SK

[1] FUDCon, Pune, India 2011. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:India_2011

[2] Fedora Activity Day II. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD_Pune_2011

[3] College of Engineering, Pune, India. http://www.coep.org.in/

[4] Prof. Abhijit. http://www.coep.org.in/index.php?profile=abhijit.comp

[5] Saleem Ansari. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Tuxdna

[6] Conference Organization Distribution. http://usecod.com/

[7] Prasad Pandit. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pjp

[8] Introduction to Python by Prasad Pandit.
http://pjp.dgplug.org/tools/introduction-python.pdf

[9] i-want-2-do-project. tell-me-wat-2-do-fedora.
http://shakthimaan.com/downloads.html#i-want-2-do-project-tell-me-wat-2-do

[10] COEP Boat Club. http://coepboatclub.com/

[11] Kashyap Chamarthy. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Kashyapc

[12] Virtualization in Fedora by Kashyap.
http://kashyapc.fedorapeople.org/Presentations/virtualization-in-fedora.pdf

[13] Amit Shah. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Amitshah

[14] Introduction to Django by Saleem Ansari.
https://github.com/tuxdna/conf_jmilug

[15] di-git-ally managing love letters.
http://shakthimaan.com/downloads.html#di-git-ally-managing-love-letters

[16] Photos. http://www.shakthimaan.com/Mambo/gallery/album71