[fedora-india] [Event Report] "Pragyan 2012", NIT, Trichy, Tamil Nadu, India - February 26, 2012

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 07:18:36 UTC 2012

Hi,

I had presented the (in)famous
"i-want-2-do-project.tell-me-wat-2-do-fedora" [1] presentation as a
guest lecturer at "Pragyan 2012" [2], NIT, Trichy [3], Tamil Nadu,
India on Sunday, February 26, 2012.

Most of the student participants were familiar with the the *nix
desktop. I explained to them the various project, communication
guidelines, and best practices that they need to follow when working
on free/open source software projects. I had also introduced them to
the various Fedora sub-projects that they can participate and learn
from.

I was invited four years ago by the Pengufest [4] team of Pragyan,
but, I couldn't make it then. Apparently, my presentation has been
circulating among them for quite some time, and they now got to hear
it from the horse's mouth.

On Saturday, as part of the Pengufest track there were sessions held
by Dr. Viswanath Poosala [5] on "Engineering Innovation - A recipe for
coming up with disruptive ideas", and sessions on "How to be a
Hacker?", "Functional Programming and why it matters", and "Lisp -
God's own programming language.Lisp" by Vivek Shangari [6].

I also attended Suraj Kumar's [7] talk on "GNU/Linux in large scale
Internet based businesses", where he addressed the different concepts,
terminologies and F/OSS tools that people use for large scale web
deployments.

I would like to thank Red Hat for sponsoring my travel, and the
organizing team of Pragyan 2012 for the wonderful hospitality.

Few photos taken during the trip are available in my /gallery.

  http://www.shakthimaan.com/Mambo/gallery/album77

SK

[1] i-want-2-do-project-tell-me-wat-2-do-fedora.
http://shakthimaan.com/downloads.html#i-want-2-do-project-tell-me-wat-2-do

[2] Pragyan 2012. http://www.pragyan.org

[3] National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli. http://www.nitt.edu/home/

[4] Pengufest. http://www.pragyan.org/12/home/pengufest/