[fedora-india] [Event Report] Fedora Workshop Conducted at Nashik.

Rahul Mahale rahul.mahale123 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 15:14:09 UTC 2014

*One day Fedora Workshop Conducted at Nashik*

A one day Fedora Workshop was scheduled on October 11th 2014 at KKW College
Nashik [1].

After reaching one of the Reputed College of City it was an Small
Felicitation by HOD of MCS Department.
The Workshop Mainly was divided into 2 sessions of 2 hours each.

*Session I*
It was an introductory session to Open-Source and GNU/Linux. I started with
a small presentation explaining the History of Open-source and GNU, When it
was established and what are the goals of it. I focused on the four
features of FOSS i.e.* Freedom to use, freedom to examine , Freedom to
redistribute and freedom to modify*. Then I introduced the GNU/Linux, the
Linux Kernel, how it is built and how is the release process of the Linux
kernel with the short video[2]. Then I introduced the Fedora GNU/Linux
Operating system. I showed the live installation of the Fedora 20 distro
and also showed the dual boot process of installing Linux with other OS. I
showed the different Desktop flavors like GNOME, KDE, XFCE, MATE etc. After
Installation of the Fedora 20, I explained the basic commands with
examples, I focused on File processing commands and process monitoring
commands. I also explained the Features of Fedora and focused on 4 F's of
Fedora Project. I explained the *Freedom, Friends, Features, First.* I also
introduced the Fedora Project Community with all the SIGs and also
explained how to join Fedora Project with Fedora Account Systems. With the
Introduction to GNU/Linux with Fedora, Students asked me some basic
questions and I was happy to answer them in simplest Language few questions
were like how to change IP address etc.

*Session II*
Session II was focused on how to use Fedora, I started with the the
installation and un-installation of software's. Firstly I explained the
de-facto standard of Linux Software Installation and showed the
installation of GNOME IP messenger from source. Then I focused more on
showing the installation by command line and showed the installation,
upgrading and uninstallation by yum command. Installed the software VLC
with yum command i.e *yum install vlc* and also showed un-installation by *yum
remove* command. Also demonstrated the updating and searching for the
particular package with yum. Then I showed the Software Installation and
un-installation with *rpm* command for .rpm packages with the *archey*
package. Further I showed the simplest way by showing Gnome Software and
Yum Extender. In between there were few questions like how to install
windows software on Linux and I answered them. After installation I showed
how to use Text Editors like Vim, Emacs and Gedit. Then I explained step by
step procedure for how to compile and run programs of C, C++, Python, Ruby
and Shell. After that I spoke on Fedora Project Community and how one can
contribute to it. Shared the links of particular SIG's of Fedora Project.

At the end there were questions from students and I answered best of my
knowledge.

I conducted a small oral quiz and distributed the Fedora 20 DVDs and
Stickers to Students.

It was nice exprience and special one because of the support and guidance
of Fedora India Community.

Thanks a lot for Prof. Pawan Malani for arranging the workshop.

Also I am Thankful to Fedora Contributors Chandan Kumar and Siddhesh
Poyarekar for their personal guidance for this workshop.

Thanks a lot Fedora India Community for the great support.
It was an awesome experience of conducting a small Fedora Workshop.

[1] www.kkwagh.edu.in

[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVpbFMhOAwE

--

Rahul.R.Mahale.