[fedora-india] DVD distribution and their impact

P J P pjp at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 2 14:29:42 UTC 2015

Earlier today on '#fedora-ambassadors' channel

===

<deadrat> Hello friends,
<deadrat> My name is Jaiyabharat S from Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu. I am very interested to join fedora project. I will be very grateful if I could get a mentor for joining Fedora Ambassadors SIG.
<deadrat> My user page in Fedora Project Wiki is https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Deadrat
<deadrat> Thanks and Regards,
<deadrat> deadrat
<pjp> deadrat: Cool!
<pjp> deadrat: How did you get introduced to Fedora 2 yrs ago?
<deadrat> Hi PJP,
<deadrat> sorry for the very late reply .
<deadrat> pjp: I bought a laptop 3 years ago. I found out that the model I selected got 3000 INR cheaper if I buy it without the default Operating system. So I asked them to give it without Windows. Once I bought the laptop, I managed to get the copy of Windows via some other source which is illegal. But I wasn't happy with Windows. Computer was slow, Virus problems, and windows started bugging me to...
<deadrat> ...activate it. So that is when I heard about Debian, borrowed the DVD from a friend,  and I loved it.
<deadrat> Then I requested for Ubuntu DVD and I used it for a short while, then BOSS GNU/Linux for a short while.
<deadrat> Once I started trying out many options, I wanted to use the latest options. I heard about fedora 17 with GNOME3 , but then I couldn't request for a DVD / CD. So I downloaded it. It was the first distro I downloaded from internet and it took me almost a week to download the ISO.
<deadrat> It was in Jan 2013 I guess when I downloaded and installed Fedora for the first time.
<deadrat> pjp:  Then you know how it is. Once you start using it, you will start loving it. (There were times when I went back to BOSS for a while;  I tried other options and still I try many other distros, but fedora is my primary OS. )
<deadrat> Sorry, I have to go. It is already very late (I went for a movie, Mocking Jay 2; that's why I couldn't reply to pjp ) and I have to get some sleep. Got to get up for work in 4 hours. I'll be back tomorrow. My userpage in wiki has my contact info. Thank you. Sorry if I spammed the channel with so many messages.
<pjp> deadrat: Hi,
<deadrat> Hi pjp
<pjp> deadrat: Nice story, thank you for sharing.
<deadrat> pjp: Thank You.
<pjp> deadrat: What are you interested in doing? As in activities for Fedora?
<pjp> deadrat: Have you joined fedora-india list? Please do if you haven't already -> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/india/
<deadrat> I don't know programming and stuff, so I have to stay out of main thing - coding.  But I can answer some basic questions for users regarding Fedora OS. I think I'm doing okay on that part in Ask Fedora. I think Fedora could use some marketing ( I couldn't get the right word. ) there are lakhs  of people, who need a solution like Fedora, but they are stuck
<deadrat> with some proprietary OS . I want to participate in any outreach program to spread about Fedora. By word of mouth, I have helped several friends to set up Fedora in their PC.
<pjp> deadrat: That's fantastic! Thank you so much for doing it!!
<pjp> deadrat: We are in the process of starting a new outreach program across APAC, will let you know soon.
<pjp> deadrat: Please join the fedora-india list till then.
===

---  -P J P
http://feedmug.com