[fedora-india] DVD distribution and their impact

P J P pjp at fedoraproject.org
Sun Nov 29 12:10:50 UTC 2015

> On Sunday, 29 November 2015 1:36 PM, sankarshan wrote:
>> Has there been a corresponding effort/method to measure it
>> through all the duration that DVD distribution has been in place?
>
> It is intriguing to respond to a question with another.

  Because I don't know if there was such effort.

> If there has not been any way to deduce the impact of
> DVD distribution on user base, is your first statement
> based on perception?

  Partly that and partly being optimistic. It'd be a stretch
to write off DVD distribution as having zero impact, which is
probably why we have the FreeMedia program running.

> I'm not sure of the exact number but would be it a reasonably accurate
> estimate that around 5000 units of DVDs of various Fedora releases
> have been produced and distributed via channels viz. FreeMedia,
> Events, UGs? And if there are 500 unique recipients of such media, has
> this list or, any other channel (Ask Fedora etc) heard from at least
> 10% of these recipients? I think when Rejy sends out the FreeMedia
> DVDs, he adds a note about "how to seek and receive help".

  IMO DVD distribution and recipients becoming active participants are
two different aspects, which need not be connected. They could still
be using Fedora and upgrading to newer versions. When news papers
distribute free copies, it is not expected that the recipients would
start writing editorial comments and columns.

> There's another question which is implied - are the outcomes expected
> from DVD distribution aligned with the goals of the Fedora community
> in India?

  Do we have these goals and expectations defined and communicated to
the active participants?

---
  -P J Phttp://feedmug.com