Change with FAS sysadmin-* accounts

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 12:18:52 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 5:26 AM, Tajidin Abd <tajidinabd at archlinux.us> wrote:
> I dont want it to seem like im a troll, cause i know the Infrastructure is
> busy as heck you have lot of things to worry about. Just make it more clear

I sure don't think you're a troll, fwiw :)

> for the new contributor that comes along. Yes i know myself i came in
> thinking i can do it all. then i figured out its best to work slowly then
> build up. Thats why since you will make it inivite only, for sure there need

The invite-only part is just a new construct in FAS.  We'd have people
applying for various groups that were not appropriate - 'accounts'
comes to mind here, since I get all the spam of people applying for
it, I'm sure there are many others. You have always required
sponsorship/mentorship to work in Infrastructure - all that this
change is doing is saying that you cannot apply to the group *in FAS*
in order to relieve the overhead on the sponsors.

> to be a mentor along with this new contributor to work closely with him. For
> example doing some small tasks like documentation, wiki, content, for the
> Infrastructure team that is some menial basic things. As they say you have
> to learn how to follow before you can lead.

Whenever I sponsor someone into Infrastructure groups, it's with a
clear task/project in mind. Once you've accomplished that task,
there's limitless other tasks to be accomplished, and you gradually
"move up the ranks". so to speak, in terms of responsibility.

Does that make it more clear?