RFC: Work needed to be done.

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Thu Dec 2 01:03:09 UTC 2010

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> 0x1) Upgrading puppet to 2.6.4. We are currently on 0.25.2 (or 2.5.x
> in new nomenclature). How to test deploy and build out?

You may already know this, but I've got the latest puppet packages in
my fedorapeople repo:

    http://tmz.fedorapeople.org/repo/puppet/

The fun part about puppet updates is that you really need to do the
master first, which makes testing interesting, unless you have a test
master and entire test network of nodes.

I have heard mostly positive things from those that have updated from
0.25.5.  I moved to it on my home systems way back when 2.6.x was in
beta, and ran into a few small issues.  I filed bugs and I believe all
of these were fixed in later 2.6 releases.  The problem is that it's
been a long time since I updated, so I'm not a good person to speak to
a 0.25.5 -> 2.6.4 update.

If there's a pt system we could run a puppetmaster on, I'd be happy to
help out with any testing.  I'd like to eventually update puppet in
EPEL, but finding folks to test and report on any problems is harder
than I would like, so I've held off.

Mistakes seldom prove fatal unless repeated.