dev.fedoraproject.org

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 19:28:13 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 22:28, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> So it is probably time to have a dev.fedoraproject.org.  Why?  Well,
> toshio had mentioned having others do some of the 'sysadminy' tasks so
> developers can focus on development.
>
> Also Luke had an analogous request wrt community and staging but before I
> go setting things up some topics for discussion:
>
> 1) Security staging and production are identical.  Since production data
> regularly gets migrated to staging people that have access to one, might
> as well have access to the other.  Generally our staging environment is
> mostly used for integration work, some load work as well.
>
> 2) Should we run development from rpms that get edited (like live patches)
> or should we run them from scm(ish) checkouts.  I generally vote for the
> latter as it feels more useful in a development lifecycle.  But we should
> come up with a quick standard for how to store this stuff.  something like
> /srv/dev/
>
> 3) I don't want this to be all fancy.  All of our apps run in their own
> namespaces so we should be able to get by with one or two app dev servers
> and we should be able to use them without a reverse proxy.
>
> Questions comments?  It'd be nice to just throw them all together on a
> couple of hosts in their own namespace.  It'll help find issues with them
> playing together.

I was wondering how our developer workflow would go for the publictest
boxes.. people are using them for development and I wonder what stage
of work we want things to move projects from one set to another.

Scratch development: publictestXX.fedoraproject.org
Integration development: XX.dev.fedoraproject.org
Staging/QA: XX.stg.fedoraproject.org
Production XX.fedoraproject.org

So for the insight project. Work would go on
publictestXX.fedoraproject.org.. and when it was ready to look at for
production we would move it to say staging or dev? When it was ready
for staging we would lock it down and move it to that git tree and
push it out to see how it works in a 'real' environment. After it was
finally tested there we would move to production?

That is the initial picture in my head.. I just want to see if it is accurate.

>        -Mike

Stephen J Smoogen.