Logging.

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Thu Mar 4 05:00:37 UTC 2010

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> Other things left to do. We need a puppet scriptlet that links
> forward and reverse DNS directories and keeps up with them somehow
> so that various 1-10 minute poops don't spew logs everywhere again.

This might be a good use of exported resources (though I'm not sure if
we have storeconfigs enabled in our puppet config).  If we do, we
could have each node export a file resource to create the proper
symlink.  From memory, it'd be something like this:

    # Somewhere in a class included on each node, export
    @@file { "/var/log/hosts/$ipaddress":
        ensure => "/var/log/hosts/$hostname",
        tag    => 'syslog',
    }

    # Then in the [r]syslog class on log1, collect
    File <<| tag == 'syslog' |>>

The export/collect mechanism can be pretty handy.  With 0.25, you can
use "thin" storeconfigs, which only stores facts and exported
resources.

http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/wiki/ReleaseNotes#thin-stored-configuration

Politicians are interested in people. Not that this is always a
virtue.  Fleas are interested in dogs.
    -- P.J. O'Rourke