Monitoring

David Nalley ke4qqq at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 4 18:39:46 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Michael Carruthers wrote:
>
>> Have we considered ZenOSS?
>>

> <talking about things he doesn't know about>
>
> I was always under the impression that ZenOSS wasn't free.  Or at least
> wasn't fully free.  Is that true?
>
> </back to talking about what he knows about>
>
>        -Mike

Zenoss is F/LOSS - the non-free stuff is basically add-ons, for things
like Active Directory integration, monitoring $foo app, etc.

In it's current state (2.5.2, released yesterday) it has virtually
zero chance of being included in Fedora. It bundles python 2.4,
twisted, zope (and an old version at that) etc. A number of distros
have been complaining about this (including us), and supposedly this
weekend the code in SVN is making the jump to a recent zope (but still
a packaging nightmare) and python 2.6.

Zenoss is largely written in python, and most of the interesting
addons (such as the AMQP, and the about to be debuted libvirt
monitoring add-on) are all written in python as well, so at least it's
something we know/have experience in. It's less lightweight than
nagios in my opinion.