Possibility of Fedora sponsoring a Freenode server

Nick Bebout nick at bebout.net
Wed Mar 17 20:39:10 UTC 2010

What is everyone's thoughts about us sponsoring a Freenode server?  Their
general requirements are noted on http://freenode.net/hosting_ircd.shtml
and I've discussed them with mmcgrath and he has said they seem doable,
probably on telia1 or osuosl1.  Basically we'd be providing them a xen
guest with about 1.5 or 2 GB ram, client servers should expect to sustain
around 1Mbps of traffic, with much higher peaks. Total usage for client
servers is usually around 320 gigabytes per month, while hidden hubs are
generally much lower overall.

We'd be giving them at least a user account on it, they prefer sudo if
possible.  They handle the day-to-day administering of the ircd, either
scp'ing new binaries or compiling the ircd on the server itself, and
copying new config files to there.

I've talked to their sponsor liaison and they seem to be interested.  Mike
and I wanted to discuss it on here before I send the actual "proposal"
email.

I think it would be a good idea, especially since we use them so much for
our IRC channels, it'd be nice to contribute a server back to the network.

Nick