Possibility of Fedora sponsoring a Freenode server

Ian Weller ian at ianweller.org
Wed Mar 17 21:42:27 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 03:59:12PM -0500, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> Other than the usual reasons for not running an IRC server, the main
> thing that would bother me would be that the IRC server software
> wouldn't be managed by installing RPM packages since it seems that
> they compile & install the code directly.  Perhaps we could help
> Freenode get their new IRC daemon packaged and get a number of the
> Freenode admins set up as packagers?  That way when they needed to
> update the server code they could build a new package and pull the
> packages out of Koji if they needed to deploy the code quickly.

I highly doubt Freenode has the staff time to put towards this. From
what I can tell, it just doesn't fit the way they push out code changes.
Either we'd have to make an exception of our RPM-only policies for the
donated server or we wouldn't be able to host a mirror at all.

I kind of assumed that we'd make an exception if we'd be giving them
root or an account not tied to FAS, after all.

--
Ian Weller <ian at ianweller.org>