Hosted plans

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Wed Aug 10 15:26:00 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 09:15 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > 3) Turn ReviewBoard into a turnkey OpenShift virtual instance and
> > allow any Fedora Hosted project to spin one up. This instance would
> > use standard enrollment (rather than FAS integration, which is
> > impossible outside the Infra firewall). Each project could have its
> > own complete instance to maintain on its own. Upsides: less work for
> > Fedora Admins, support for email and better performance. Downsides: no
> > centrally-managed user accounts and projects need to do more of the
> > maintaining of the system themselves.
>
> This is pretty interesting... I assume after following the steps they
> would have a persistent instance they could use moving forward. It
> doesn't need anything special to talk to their project on hosted?
> Does it end up costing the end project anything? ;)

I've submitted a patch upstream to ReviewBoard to add easy configuration
of Fedora Hosted source repositories:
http://reviews.reviewboard.org/r/2505/

I have confirmation from Christian Hammond (the upstream project lead)
that it will be included in the 1.5.6 and 1.6.0 releases (aka
imminently).

So there's very little that the projects need to do in order to connect
to the hosted repo. As I said above, they lose the centrally-managed
users available to FAS, so they'd need to manage their own groups
themselves. On the other side, this does mean that they gain much finer
control over permissions (since they can define their own
project-specific groups rather than relying on FAS groups).

> What happens if someone sets up an instance and then disappears?
> Does the project have any way to deal with that? Or just make a new one?

That's a good question for Mike McGrath. I suspect that it would be
prudent to recommend that projects set up several administrators so that
a disappearance of one doesn't result in the loss of all administrators.

Also, it's possible to promote a user to admin status if you have
database privileges as well by setting the admin flag on their user
account, but of course that assumes you have access to a DB admin.

A final option would be to modify the openshift instance to always
install a recovery admin with a random password that was escrowed by the
Fedora project, but I'm not sure whether that's realistic. Mike, can you
speak to that?

> Would someone be interested in trying this out and seeing how well it
> actually works? Is there a project or two that are really wanting to
> use reviewboard that we could ask?

Well, AutoQA has been using the FedoraHosted instance (without email
support and poor performance) very heavily. They might be interested.

I would also be interested in piloting it for the SSSD and FreeIPA
projects (for which I originally got invested in setting this up).

> > I'm all ears for a fourth (or fifth...) option.
>
> Well, there's https://www.rbcommons.com/plans/ but thats a cost/month.
> (Which might be worth it for some projects).

True, but as we already have the OpenShift option (thanks Mike!), I
think it's worth looking into making this part of our Hosted offering.