Requirements for us using externally hosted services

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Feb 3 22:49:19 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 22:31 +0000, Tristan Santore wrote:
> On 03/02/11 21:03, Ricky Zhou wrote:
> > At today's meeting, we started a discussion of what kind of requirements
> > we should have for moving some services to externally hosted versions
> > (like Transifex to tx.net or Wordpress blogs to wordpress.com).
> >
> > Here's are some initial items that we came up with at the meeting.
> > While it's often still useful to consider these on a case-by-case basis,
> > let's get a good list of requirements to talk about when looking at
> > hosted services.
> >
> > 1) Some level of freeness (unclear where we draw the line)
> > 2) Configuration management
> > 3) Backups
> > 4) Ability to get data out
> > 5) authn/authz
> > 6) Level of support (for managed hosting like wordpress/tx)
> > 7) Cost (compared to our own maintenance costs)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ricky

> May I ask why is this happening ?
>
> Did Red Hat slash the Fedora Infra budget ?

hah - no - much to contrary. The problem is not budget, it's about time
resources of the folks who work on fedora infrastructure. We've got too
many things to maintain and not enough people.

this is about figuring out how to provide the services we need at the
support levels we care about and also figuring out what is most
important/useful to fedora.

-sv