Fedora Community

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 17:10:24 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 19:38, Adam Dutko <dutko.adam at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know. It was a project from 2 summers ago, but after that it
>> sat at Beta and does not seem to have had much added to it since then.
>
> It seems like a good idea and is aesthetically pleasing. It also seems like a decent number of things are working.
>
>> It is one our harder items to deal with in infrastructure since it is
>> AGPL and we have to make sure that fixes are available not through
>> hotfixes but in a way that allows for users to get the code right
>> then.
>
> Really? Deploying from an RCS shouldn't be too hard, but mine is one opinion in a sea of many (who have probably also contributed more than I).

It is when all the systems are built around deploying via RPM and the
systems are remote. Plus my memory says that "preferred form" of
distribution was not what we geeks would like it to be but something
more concrete. (We might like to say "point people to GIT" but it
really means tar ball archive of files"

> It seems like the idea behind it is sound. Besides the big drawback of not having a maintainer, what would we stand to gain if it were picked up by someone? What would we stand to lose if it weren't (besides the obvious administrative easing and resources)?

Currently I don't know of anything depending on community and it has
mainly fallen down as a 80% solution needing that last 80% to get
done.

Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren