Request for resources: Ask Fedora

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Jul 20 21:02:51 UTC 2011

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 22:50:27 +0530
Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:

> > * If FAS is unavailable, how does askbot behave? No one can auth? or
> >   falls back on a local file? or ?
>
> Askbot has openid support.  Will support using Google,  Twitter etc as
> you can see in http://askbot.org.

Nice.

> > * Do we have any idea how much load/capacity this will take? I
> > guess it will depend on how much it takes off and how much people
> > use it. Are posts/answers stored in db? Or on the filesystem?
>
> Stored in the db.  Supports MySQL or Postgres.  Postgres is
> recommended by upstream since it supports full text search.  I don't
> know how much load it will take.  I have tested it but not with
> thousands of users.

Yeah, thats hard to say for sure.

> > * Will there be any guidelines or the like for content? Should all
> >   questions be fedora related? Do we want to remove posts that are
> >   offensive? (Not a technical issue, but thought I would mention
> > it, it would be good to have guidelines for moderation before
> > content appears to meet people's expectations)
>
> We would recommend people post Fedora related questions in the FAQ but
> if there is a community to answer general open source questions,  that
> is alright too.  As people vote up/vote down answers, answer other
> questions etc and gain points they incrementally get more
> administrative access in the forum and become moderators.  Moderators
> have very similar rights to admins.  Offensive posts (both questions
> and answers) can be flagged by anyone and administrators/moderators
> can close it and suspend/block users as necessary.

Sure, just wanting to know if there were general guidelines thought of
already, or if they will evolve from the community.

> > * Are updates of the app pretty transparent? ie, just yum update?
> > or do they require database changes?
>
> Just yum update so far.  If db changes are necessary, it requires two
> commands  (backup db for safety)
>
>   * python manage.py syncdb
>   * python manage.py migrate

ok.

> > * Is there any security history for the application? Have their been
> >   security issues and have they been fixed in a timely manner?
>
> No security issues  so far but upstream has been responsive to issues
> we have reported and fixed them within days.

Thats a good sign.

> > * Is there themeing available? Would we want to involve the design
> >   folks in making a fedora branded theme for it?
>
> Yes indeed.   This is my TODO list
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Askbot
>
> Upstream theming support is not awesome but good enough for our
> purposes and upstream is willing to work on enhancing is as needed

Cool.

well, I think this sounds like a interesting and potentially useful
resource, so I would be happy to sponsor it and work with you on it.

I guess the next step is a publictest instance to set things up and do
some further testing. Then, once thats good, we can work on adding it
into puppet and a stg node, then finally production.

I will see about getting you a publictest in the next few days.