New RFR -- Zanata instance

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 18:38:23 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:54:43AM -0400, David Nalley wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Since we've been paring down unused services in infrastructure recently, I'm
> > inclined to wait for a need to arise/the translation community to ask for
> > a new service before deploying something new.  While theoretically someone
> > in infrastructure could step forward to sponsor a zanata testing instance
> > onto publictest boxes, it doesn't seem like a good use of time unless it
> > addresses some need within Fedora....
> >
> > -Toshio
>

> I am inclined to agree with Toshio.
> While there's obviously some bumps we ran into in the transition to
> using tx.net's infrastructure this past release, I am almost certain
> we'd run into issues transitioning to another platform, so I'd really
> want to see compelling reasons why tx.net doesn't work.
> In addition, getting a new platform up and going takes a lot of time.
> For instance, Insight has taken more than a year, and at least the
> base package was already in Fedora.

Insight is probably not a good example case -- it was hobbled by a
number of roadbumps.  A very dedicated and highly skilled team could
do much better![1]

Nevertheless I agree in general with David and Toshio.  Is this RFR
related to some larger roadmap for Fedora translation that's been
proposed and reviewed by the Fedora translation community list?

* * *
[1] Which, as I understand it, is one of the reasons that we're
    currently using tx.net.  There were very few people with skill and
    interest who stepped up to maintain internal translation services
    in Fedora, despite a clear ongoing need and requests for help.  My
    recollection is most of those who did are either now working to
    make tx.net serve our needs, or are part of this conversation.