New RFR -- Zanata instance

Ricky Elrod codeblock at elrod.me
Wed Jun 22 09:52:53 UTC 2011

On 06/22/2011 05:13 AM, noriko wrote:
> Yp, thanks for this input! If this is the case I also disagree.
> So far, I do not see any manpower requested in this RFR, but I can see
> that there is the project team already formed and it asks for only
> approval from Infra team on consuming certain resources.

Yes - you essentially want Infra to agree to/"approve" something that we
don't even know that people want to try out, because still to this day I
do not see anything on trans@ even asking if they are remotely
interested in this. My opinion here, but I think it would be wise to let
this drop until that happens, and once it does, and a group from trans@
is actually interested and wanting to try this out, a new thread can
open at that point.

Right now, you're asking Infra to devote resources to a project that we
don't even know that the core group using it will even want to try.
There is a translation solution in place, and I've not seen anyone list
problems with that one that Zanata solves.

The point is, going back and forth on this without several things
happening is pointless:
1) See if there is any interest in trans@
2) If such a group forms, have them compile a list that clearly states
what Zanata solves that TX (our current solution) does not.
3) At that point, it would probably be safe to open a new thread here,
including that list, and seeing if it's worthwhile to pursue this.

Until those things happen, this is seemingly just going to go back and
forth without anything happening. Multiple people from infra have
mentioned what needs to happen for this to go any further, and I see no
one taking those steps.

As Mike strongly hinted a few emails back, please let this one drop
until that happens.