[EZNETSOLS #25448] [OSS] Fedora 15 staged for mirroring, release Tuesday

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri May 20 21:55:00 UTC 2011

On Fri, 20 May 2011 16:36:40 -0500
<Matt_Domsch at Dell.com> wrote:

> This is the first release we're doing since moving the master mirrors
> from Red Hat I/T control to our control.
>
> With that, we dropped all the historical mirrors that were using
> download.fedora.redhat.com and were in its rsync ACLs, forcing people
> to use the tiering.

Yeah. I think it's just silently not permitting them access to the 15
dir, so some of them might be syncing everything else and not have
noticed that 15 was there at all. ;(

> Right now, we have only a few mirrors reporting having the content
> (per the mirrorlists):
> http://mirror.pnl.gov/fedora/linux/releases/15/Fedora/
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/15/Fedora/
> ftp://mirror.cs.princeton.edu/pub/mirrors/fedora/linux/releases/15/Fedora/
> http://mirror.seas.harvard.edu/fedora/linux/releases/15/Fedora/
> http://mirror.web-ster.com/fedora/releases/15/Fedora/
> http://mirror.hiwaay.net/pub/fedora/linux/releases/15/Fedora/
> http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/15/Fedora/
>
> Should we consider:
> a) force mirrors to change to tiering if they want the bits before
> Day 0. b) opening up the restrictions on dl.fp.o so the historical
> mirrors don't have to make changes (at a cost of bandwidth from dl*)
> c) bitflipping really early (e.g. ~now) d) stop using bitflipping
> entirely
>
> ?
>
> Thoughts?

I'd be ok with b) and seeing how much if any problems that causes. If
there's too much BW being used we could reset it back.

Do we even still have a list of these ip's however?
If not, we could bitflip now and see I guess...

I would def like to see more mirrors synced up before release.