Running Mailman on big FOSS projects - Mozilla

Michael Burns burnsie at mozilla.com
Tue Dec 18 22:59:57 UTC 2012

Oh hello there Infrastructure@,

[resending this, got stock in moderation, ironically]

I'm curious in both the operations side of your Mailman setup as it exists today as well as what the (general) plans for Mailman as a basis for your Forums are in the future. So how about I just throw some questions at the list and see what sticks?

HyperKitty[0] is a really interesting Fedora project, are there plans to bring that to lists.fp.o in the foreseeable future? To that end, has there been any serious attempts at migrating lists.fp.o to Mailman v3 from v2? I am starting to look at that process in detail, and am hoping for some tips or warnings. :)

Having said that, Mailman 3 has some very interesting possibilities, particularly with something like HyperKitty running on top. The mockups[2] for what it could end up like are pretty neat, but it isn't clear what pieces are missing in between. It would be really great if we can iron out a plan to get our two project's goals for a better discussion forum system a bit closer to reality.

As for the ops side... do you use stock Mailman rpms, or are the patchesets that you use available for comparison? Likewise, could your puppet module(s) for mailman (similar to [1]?) be made available, even with identifying information removed? I signed the Fedora CLA way back when, for what it is worth. Mozilla is in the process of auditing our puppet modules for an eventual public release, so I realize this can be a tricky topic with regards to security. Doesn't hurt to ask though, right?

Cheers!

[0] https://fedorahosted.org/hyperkitty/
[1] https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/1584
[2] http://blog.linuxgrrl.com/2012/03/13/mailman-brainstorm/