moving fedorapeople.org

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 21:34:15 UTC 2012

On 20 February 2012 13:43, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>  Discussion today over a few issues with fedorapeople.org and what we
>  need to do with it.
>
> Goals:
> - be able to backup fedorapeople.org much much faster
> - expand the amount of diskspace available on it
> - offer faster upload to fedorapeople.org from places where most of our
>  userbase are.
> - offer 'project' space for groups to have unquota'd space available
>  from fedorapeople.org for various non-hosted projects:
>    examples: test spins from anaconda team
>              abrt test-suite results
>

> Two projects today both needed more space - but we were getting hung
> up b/c of how the quota'ing is laid out with the existing
> fedorapeople.org. I suggested just adding space and making it a new
> disk but Kevin mentioned the concerns about upload speed to
> fedorapeople.org and the issue of backing it up quickly.
>
> After a bit of looking around ibiblio03.fedoraproject.org was seen as a
> likely good place to put a new fedorapeople.org.
>
> If we put it there we could give it:
>  1. more ram
>  2. more processors
>  3. considerably more space
>  4. back it up faster (backup02 is also on ibiblio03 so backing it up
>  should be very fast)
>  5. being on i2 and in a fast-colo at ibiblio would give us better
>  upload rates for many many of our users.

My one concern is that both backup02 and fedorapeople can have a large
IO needs and we can have the starvation issues we had last year with
backup02... where it would mysteriously crash when it was doing lvm
items and the other ibiblio boxes were having a load.

How do the other ibiblio boxes look like for space or reallocation of disks?

> So the plan would be:
>  - setup a new people## box over at ibiblio03
>  - setup two disks
>    - the normal /srv layout we have now
>    - a new disk for project space that is outside of the quota'd area.
>

> Kevin suggested possibly replicating this people## over to the old
> location using rsync so, in the event of unplanned calamity, we could
> continue to offer the service.

That sounds good.. though slooooow.