updating dns in the future: new /git/dns repo and tools

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 13 07:20:18 UTC 2012

After the ever-such-fun of dealing with rotating out our proxies and
with puppet and with broken dns zones and dnssec and all the other pain
we settled on a solution and I implemented it today.

We'll be putting it into place and testing it more wednesday morning
(later wednesday morning).

Here's the basis of things

http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/infra/dns/README

I've added zone-checking and signed-zone-checking at just about every
place I can. I have a pre-commit hook available so you can check your
changes before you commit.

I have a pre-receive hook in the server repo to stop you from
committing broken files if you didn't test your own.

All the zones files are checked when ./do-domains is run.

In short, I hope you will have to work REALLY hard to break a zone file
with this system.

Finally, this changes how dns has been handled in the past. It means
named's configuration of the daemon (named.conf, etc) are
stored in puppet - but named's DATA (zone files) are stored in
this /git/dns.

We've done this b/c we change the configuration quite less than we do
the data and we need a separate mechanism to build/modify/check the
data than we could easily get in the existing puppet module.

finally, doing this should let us sign the zones for dnssec in a single
location rather than how we have been doing them.

We'll be testing this all out tomorrow and i'll update with the
results, once we're done.

-sv