GSoC idea to setup Gitlab for Fedora Hosted, looking for mentors

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 19:46:01 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

Since this is my first post, I'll start with a quick introduction. I'm a
core developer in the JBoss Community. I've been working for Red Hat for 3+
years. Down to business.

I proposed an idea on the Fedora GSoC 2012 page to research using Gitlab as
a front end to fedorahosted.org. Gitlab is like an open source clone of
Github, supporting code workflow features such as pull requests, code
review and repository status updates.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_coding_ideas_for_2012#Setup_Gitlab_as_a_front_end_for_Fedora_Hosted_git_repositories

I'm looking for someone who would be interested in mentoring this project,
as well clarifying to goals if necessary.

My hope is that this will help curb the rush of projects moving to github,
which is great, but also proprietary infrastructure :(

I was thinking about two possible approaches here:

1. Work in a staging server, putting the Fedora packaging stuff aside for
the moment and just get an idea of how it will interface with
fedorahosted.org and the FAS accounts...basically, a proof of concept.
Obviously, the users who have access to the deployed system would need to
be limited to avoid the proof of concept becoming prematurely adopted.

2. The other avenue is to just assume we want this and move along the lines
of packaging Gitlab and its dependencies so that it can be easily installed
on a Fedora machine. Then, infrastructure could take it from there and
handle setting it up after that project is done.

I extended an olive branch to the Gitlab team to gauge their interest:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/gitlabhq/SQMDi-yyXmU

I think this could result in a really positive change for Fedora and
attract a lot of developers to the community (if Github is any indication
of how massively popular a front end like this can be for community growth).

-Dan

--
Dan Allen
Registered Linux User #231597