tools for building cloud images in the buildsystem

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 12 15:16:44 UTC 2012

Background: appliance-creator, as part of Thincrust, isn't really maintained
anymore. It'd be nice to switch to something else. There's two main options
that I can see:

1. ami-creator, as maintained by the Eucalyptus project. This basically
   works the same way as the appliance-creator but is maintained.

2. livemedia-creator. This does a "real" install, using anaconda inside a
   VM.

The second has the obvious disadvantage of needing to launch a VM. Richard
Jones suggest that running under fully-emulated qemu layered in a VM builder
might not be so bad because we'll be io-bound anyway.

It has the advantage of doing exactly what anaconda does, which will make it
easier to track the standard Fedora install. We'd also be less insulated
from possible breakage due to anaconda development, which from an overall
point of view is both good and bad.

In any case, I'd like to start running an image creation task automatically
nightly if possible.

What do the people actually running the builders think about this?