Observed Advantages to using Github?

Pierre-Yves Chibon pingou at pingoured.fr
Tue May 28 14:14:10 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-05-28 at 07:18 -0600, Tim Flink wrote:
> As I recall, one of the claimed advantages of using github over
> fedorahosted is the ease with which people can submit code - the idea
> being that new contributors are more likely to have a github account
> than a FAS account.
>
> I'm curious whether anyone has observed an uptick in external
> contributions since the switch over to github, does anyone have any
> numbers or opinions on that?

Switching to github has had quite some consequences as far as I have
seen:
- We started to do code review (which is nice and sometime annoying,
because you have to wait for someone to review your changes)
- We started using the git flow approach, which means that are
repositories have an exploding number of branches (either still opened,
old but not removed or in their history)
- From what I saw, I think more people contribute to the projects in
general but except for some code review, I still see mostly the same
people as before
- We (the team) have a pretty good place to see what's going on in the
different projects, that's something I find nice

So to answer your question, I cannot say I have seen many new comers,
but more contributions from people within the team. Others might have a
different experience though :)
(Suddenly I remember rube which had a number of contributors outside of
the standard team as well as fedmsg, but that one was already on github)

Pierre