Migrating to our own bugzilla instance.

Tristan Santore tristan.santore at internexusconnect.net
Tue Sep 17 09:53:00 UTC 2013

On 17/09/13 10:44, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 08:24:58AM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> Greetings
>>
>> I think it's time that we start putting some effort into both
>> discussing and migrating away from sharing bugzilla instance with
>> Red Hat.
>
> This is indeed a big question that has been in the air for some time without
> any real conclusion reached.
> Since you're speaking about, I assume you know about:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure_Fedora_bug_tracker
>
> If you have any inputs/ideas feel free to share them, we have already discussed
> more than once about it but so far the disadvantages and work implied have
> out-weight the advantages.
>
> One of the big point being the definition of who is "we" in your sentence.
>
>> For the first should we migrate all issues from the RH bugzilla to
>> keep history or should we simply declare a flag day and from that
>> point on everybody will be using the new bug tracker
>>
>> Secondly do people have any option on which bug tracker we should
>> migrate to as in should we stick to mozilla's bugzilla or should we
>> use something else?
>
> You do realize that here you're speaking about migration w/o knowing to what
> will be the migration? Seems like the reverse order to me.
>

> Pierre

Question is, why even bother ? I have yet to see one argument why this
would be better. Just making broad statements as such, is not an
argument for actually doing it.

I for one, see benefits in keeping it there, because when I search for
issues, I sometimes come across a similar issue in rhel5/rhel6, which
then allows me to fix or find the issue, that I need to report, so
upstream/package maintainer can fix it.

So, I am a bit dubious about this suggestion.

Any enlightenment would be welcome.

Regards,

Tristan

--

Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
TS4523-RIPE
Tristan.Santore at internexusconnect.net

Former Thawte Notary
(Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
and I am therefore no longer able to accredit trust)

TSantore at fedoraproject.org