Migrating to our own bugzilla instance.

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 16:12:14 UTC 2013

On 09/18/2013 02:36 PM, inode0 wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 9:27 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
> <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 09/18/2013 01:24 PM, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm totally on board with moving away from Bugzilla if there are serious
>>> issues with using it.  However, EPEL is a Fedora SIG, not something run by
>>> RHEL. And I would totally expect it to be supported by the Fedora Project.
>>
>> All the packages already exist and are available in Fedora
>>
>> Epel has nothing to do with Fedora absolutely nothing.
>>
>> It's an extra package repository for RHEL it belongs with RHEL or in it's
>> own separated EPEL infrastructure with it's own policy's and aligned with
>> RHEL and or some of it's clones ( SL/Centos/Oracle etc ).
> If you want the Fedora Project to be something larger than a desktop
> then please stop trying to throw out things that lots of people in the
> Fedora community create that isn't a desktop.

?

Fedora is already much larger then desktop there are just certain people
in our community that have Gnome tunnel vision and cant see beyond that
and have for years.

>   While EPEL has nothing
> to do with Fedora's traditional product, it has a lot to do with the
> Fedora community building new and useful things for both the Fedora
> Project to use as well as those outside the immediate Fedora
> community. Since *we* use EPEL, it clearly has something to do with
> *us*.

Excuse me but I think we in Fedora as an community should be focusing on
delivering one LTS release even if it is just to bridge the cap and it
only exist between RHEL releases.

Now since RH does not want that or atleast not support that I have to
ask what carrot does RH throw to the EPEL maintainers to keep them
carrying the bits they dont want to maintain themselves?

The bottom line is that EPEL is not part of Fedora in any other way then
to consume our infrastructure resources, slowing down the rest of the
project doing so and bring unnecessary complication to our spec files as
well as keep them fairly outdated.

JBG