Adding Fedora applications to gnome-software as webapps

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 00:08:11 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-09-07 at 13:17 -0400, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> How is a bookmark different from a "web app"?

To start with, using a bookmark requires one to have the browser already
running. This isn't required for web apps. The web apps are listed in
the activities view as stand alone applications. Each web app is run as
a separate entity, and therefore won't be affected by another epiphany
instance crashing. They can be added to the dash too.

The main advantage is improved visibility. You can run a web app by just
typing related keywords in the activities view. New users that will go
through the application list will see them and it'll increase awareness
about the different web applications we use.

They're only limited to epiphany at the moment, though.

I don't expect advanced users to use them much - we already have 100+
tabs open in FF, one more won't hurt. It's more for new users that
aren't aware of the apps infra puts up, like the "for users section" at
apps.fp.o.

Some links:

http://fedoraftw.com/how-create-web-apps-epiphany-fedora-20
http://www.thepowerbase.com/2014/02/make-web-apps-shine-gnome-3-10/