people ssh Banner

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Sep 26 22:26:48 UTC 2014

So, we have had a number of folks recently come and tell us they are
having trouble logging into fedorapeople.org and after troubleshooting
we find that they are not in any non cla groups, so don't even have an
account there.

I've tried to stress the requirements on the people page on the wiki,
but I think some people are learning about it word of mouth and aren't
finding out the requirements for accounts.

To help with this I setup a ssh Banner the other day.

So, every connection gets a short message:

---snip---
This system is for Fedora Contributors only!

You must be in at least one non cla group to have access.

See: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/fedorapeople.org
---snip---

There's however a few problems with this and I have reverted it for
now. Problems include:

* Annoys people who do have accounts.
* Breaks scripts that look for just specific content
* Tells attackers if someone has an account or not.

So we could:

* Just keep it disabled and try and get people to read docs

* Re-enable it but make the message 1 line to be less anoying.

* Some other clever solution.