[fedora-java] Toddler question : Scala package maintainer

Harshad harshad.rj at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 16:32:23 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have been a Fedora user since 7 upto 9. I also use Scala
(www.scala-lang.org) a lot in my work.

After seeing this [1] announcement on the Scala website, I thought I would
chip-in for maintaining a Scala package for Fedora, and do my bit for both
of these excellent communities.

Trouble is that I have never done such a thing before. I have never compiled
my own RPM, ever. I am looking at the package maintainers guide [2] right
now and I am confident of following the details. But I need some
baby-sitting for some top-level questions:

  * Is this the right list for asking questions about applications based on
Java?

  * The creating-package-howto [3] says that we need to begin with
pristine-sources and not use pre-compiled binaries. Is this applicable for
Java packages too? Is pre-compiled to byte-code considered pristine
enough? ;)

Thanks in advance,
Harshad

[1] http://www.scala-lang.org/node/296