[fedora-java] Can we go to Groovy 2.0?

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 07:13:44 UTC 2012

Can we shoot for Groovy 2.0 in Fedora 18? What about Fedora 17 updates?

Groovy 2.0 is a crucial evolution in this widely used language and, being
all about features first, we want Fedora to be the place to run it.

The 2.0 update is significant because it introduces a static typing mode,
allowing it to cater to both the dynamic language crowd as well as the
traditional Java crowd.

Of course, the big question for Fedora is backwards compatibility. Groovy
2.0 claims to be backwards compatible with 1.8. Hamlet D'Arcy had this to
say on the topic in an abstract for an article on Groovy 2.0 in NFJS, The
Magazine [1]:

"Don’t worry, the major release is backwards compatible with previous
Groovies. The 2.0 increment is earned because of the size and scope of its
biggest features: modularization, invoke dynamic support, and most
importantly an upgrade to the static type system. Groovy 2.0 will contain a
static type checker which validates your code as part of the compiler,
similar to what you’re familiar with from Java. The final class files and
bytecode produced is still the same as before, but with this feature you
have the safety you expect from Java with the conciseness and
expressiveness of Groovy."

Here's a detailed article published on InfoQ about what's new in Groovy
2.0. [2]

-Dan

[1] http://www.nofluffjuststuff.com/home/magazine_subscribe?id=31
[2] http://www.infoq.com/articles/new-groovy-20